Thursday, July 10, 2008

Our vacation . . . the rest of the story!

*disclaimer – This may be totally boring to some of you, so don’t feel obliged to read it. It is mainly for people like Mom and Dad who ask me how I’m doing and get answers like “Fine.” This gives a little better description than that single word. Besides, Jason did ask me to do this. How could I refuse?
On the morning we left, (Thursday) I got to sleep an extra half hour or so. Of course, to many of you, that (5:00 am) would still be way too early to get out of bed. There was a method to our madness, however, as we got up, got dressed, ate breakfast, got into our pre-packed car, and with the normal prayer for traveling safety and good gas mileage, we left precisely on schedule at 6:00 am and arrived in Philadelphia at about 8:30.
Thanks to we got all the way to our exit without mishaps or meanderings. However due to aforementioned website’s failure to mention that Yorktown street was simply a convenient (supposedly. . . we would have had to cross five lanes of traffic to get to it!) alleyway in which we could barely turn around, we took another fifteen minutes to find our hotel. I am so grateful that my husband likes to ask for directions! I never have felt comfortable doing so. Anyway . . . thanks to the assistance of a Burger King drive-thru cashier, we found our hotel. While buying the sampler package that included our tickets to Longwood, the Helicopter Museum, and some other places, Jason found out that although check-in was not until 3 in the afternoon, to our surprise, our room was ready. We were impressed.
We headed from there straight to Longwood. Really, the pictures tell most of the story there. After spending the morning in the gorgeous landscaping there, we had our picnic lunch. I suppose, just to make you drool, I’ll tell you all about it. We had fried chicken, boiled eggs, potato salad, water to drink, and white chip macadamia cookies for dessert. (By the way, thanks Andy for the picnic backpack. It was perfect!) Jason remarked that although he doesn’t like picnics, “You could get me to go on a picnic with you again if you cook like this!” So, maybe we’ll have to try it sometime!
After lunch we went to the very small, very rundown helicopter museum. Unless you are a pilot, or have a little boy who wants to be one, you probably wouldn’t think this museum was worthwhile. Basically, it is half of a warehouse, packed to the gills with helicopters. Most of them have signs that say not to touch “this vintage aircraft” and the ones that are touchable seem to be nearly falling apart! The museum has a lot of mechanical information about the helicopters, but not much info about their use. But, since it was free (with the purchase of the sampler, $5 otherwise) we weren’t complaining.
Next we went back to the hotel room where we ate picnic leftovers for supper, checked email, and relaxed. At 6:30 we headed back to Longwood for the concert and the light show.
Thursday was also the first time I ever remember having a 7-11 Slurpee. It was pretty good, but the brain freeze and the failure to live up to Jason’s glowing description didn’t exactly thrill me. (Wow, I sound so negative in this post. It’s called Eeyore – syndrome, I guess!)
We left at about ten on Friday morning to head on to Delaware. We got there right in time to have delicious BLT’s for lunch. We spent the afternoon chitchatting and walking over to the house Aunt Brenda and Uncle Bill are buying. Right after supper, we headed to Rehoboth, where we planned to watch the fireworks. That was an adventure also.
First of all let me say that the weather at the beach was cool enough that very few people were running around in swimsuits. For that we were extremely grateful. Anyway. . . we were advised to ride the shuttle from Rehoboth to the beach rather than trying to find a place to park. So, we did. Initially it was a great idea. We browsed the shops on the boardwalk, waded in the ocean, and waited in a tremendously long line for the restroom! At about 8:15, it began to sprinkle. Because of the threat of rain, the fireworks were set off an hour early, and so, began at the same time as the sprinkling. Being the brave young lady that I am, I said to my husband, “Look at all the people that are leaving now. If we wait a little bit, even if it rains, we won’t have to be in the crowd trying to leave on the shuttles.” But then the rain got harder and harder and harder and . . . well, you get the picture. We decided that even though rain wouldn’t hurt us, we might as well head home since we had seen what we came to see. So, we walked in the rain to the line for the shuttle busses. Lo and behold, even though a lot of people had already left, there were three or four more “lots” of people left waiting for the busses. My guess is that there were probably at least a thousand. Anyway, we stood their as the rain turned into a downpour and waited and waited and waited. We were soaked clear through. It felt as though I consisted entirely of water. At one point, Jason pulled out a bottle of water and poured it over my head, and I honestly didn’t get any wetter. In fact, if he hadn’t told me he was going to do it, the only way I would have noticed was that the bottled water was slightly warmer than the rain. We stood and waited for an hour and a half. Yes, it continued to rain HARD the whole time. At one point a few people in the crowd and a police officer got in a yelling match. That had me a little worried, but eventually, we sloshed onto a bus and got back to the car. When we got home that night, I hung our clothes over the back of a chair to dry after wringing them out. The next morning, they still had to go through the dryer twice. We were wet, and that’s all there was to it!
On Saturday morning, we took Grandma to visit Grandpa Ed in the nursing home, and she took us out for lunch. Then, that evening, a bunch of my relatives came over for an indoor picnic of barbequed ribs, broccoli salad, and other yummy foods. It was great to spend time with family!
Sunday morning, we had the privilege of hearing my second cousin’s Southern Gospel quartet, Two Mile Road, sing a concert at a local campground. Then, after a delicious lunch prepared by my gourmet chef husband, we headed home, through another rain storm on the way. After seeing three accidents on the way home and nearly being in one on the way there, I am so truly grateful for God’s hand keeping us safe. He blessed us with a relaxing time together.


  1. So glad you had a splashin' good time! I am with you on the cookies! They are my all time favorite but I rarely make them because I am obligated to eat them all because noone else cares for them!

  2. Sounds like you had a good time (in a wet sort of way)! Glad you all could get away for a bit. Judging by the pictures that Jason posted before, it was quite beautiful before the rain came!


Hi everyone! I am so glad that you dropped by. So, tell me, what did you think of this post?

Search This Blog

Swidget 1.0


Blog Widget by LinkWithin

© Bethany Morford

Blog design, thoughts, pictures, and viewpoints are my own. Do not reproduce in any form without permission.